Not all blinds and shades can be repaired by Innovative Openings.
Normal everyday use over time exposes window treatments to ordinary wear and tear as well as exposure to sun, wind, and moisture. 15 years is the approximate lifetime of a shading product, and after that time period repairs can be expensive and may not extend the usability of the product for any valuable amount of time.
At Innovative Openings we are happy to offer repair service for shading products that meet both of the following criteria:
- Product purchased from Innovative Openings
- Product owned by the original purchaser
At our discretion we may decline to offer repair service for products with any of the following:
- Fabric with holes or tears, or that cannot retain its shape
- Components that are irreplaceable brittle, cracked, or missing
- Excessive dust, stains, or insect bodies
- The product or its components have been discontinued
Child Safety Standards & Regulations in the Window Treatment Industry
Current Child Safety requirements may affect whether or not your manually operated window treatment can be repaired.
- All Innovative Openings repairs will be subject to current Child Safety Standards*. All repaired window coverings will be brought into compliance with current Child Safety Standards. There may be additional costs involved to achieve compliance.
- If we are unable to bring the shade into compliance with child safety standards, we cannot perform the repair.
- For more information on current Child Safety Standards, please visit: windowcoverings.org/window-cord-safety/
*AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARD FOR SAFETY OF CORDED WINDOW COVERING PRODUCTS - ANSI/WCMA A100.1-2018.
Insolroll warranty service
- Repairs can be made in our facility.
- Was there a statement about no charge parts under warranty somewhere?
Hunter Douglas warranty service, we will obtain a Return Authorization from Hunter Douglas then we will package and ship your shade to their factory.
- Innovative Openings charges $40 for processing Hunter Douglas warranty repairs (includes shipping and handling). This charge is not covered by the Hunter Douglas warranty.
- Lead time is based upon factory processing time: generally about 3-6 weeks.
- Shades can be shipped back to you directly at no additional charge or picked up at our location during office hours.
- We will assess the best, and most cost effective, way to proceed.
- Most re-strings will cost $80 per shade (plus shipping) depending upon the size and complexity.
Q: What is the most frequently needed blind and shade repair?
A: Broken operator cords.
Broken cords in honeycomb shades (Duette & Applause) and horizontal blinds (wood blinds & mini-blinds) are the most common blind or shade failure. Our largest supplier of corded blinds & shades, Hunter Douglas, offers a 7 year cord breakage warranty.
Q: How long do window treatments last?
A: Over time under normal everyday use, window treatments are subjected to exposure to sun, wind, moisture and handling. This is considered the life span of blinds and shades. After this period of time, their operation, materials, and aesthetic are compromised such that repair can be expensive and may not extend the usability of the product for any valuable amount of time.
Q: What if my window treatments are more than 15 years old?
A: Innovative Openings does not offer a labor or parts warranty on repairs to blinds and shades with cord operating systems older than 15 years and will not accept responsibly for damage that could occur during the repair process. It is our opinion that many corded blinds and shades older than 15 years and subjected to heavy use should be replaced rather than repaired.